Friday, March 18, 2011

I thought I could...


My grandmother is an amazing seamstress and my mom is a fabulous seamstress and ever since I was little, I wanted to sew, just like them. But alas, I did not inherit the crafty gene...it skipped a generation and went straight on down to Evalin. However, the dream has never left...not even after I received a C- in Home Economics because I sewed my polka-dot project to the front of my shirt (that I was wearing) and had to miss the entire next period because I was seam-ripping my project off my shirt (ah...that seam-ripper and became such great friends that semester of school).



That dream to sew and create didn't even die after I decided to make all the baby blankets for Lukas' nursery and ended up ruining 5 yards of fleece because I could not get the seam straight (and to add insult to injury, Lukas' all-time favorite "blanket" is the remnant of fabric that survived - all misshapen and ugly)



The dream didn't die even after I purchased the exact same fabric that the Clinton's used in the White House, for only $8 a yard (instead of $100 a yard like they paid). Yet here the fabric sits eight years later! 



Earlier this week, my boss asked me what I do to relax and have fun. I said "Sleep" which apparently was not an acceptable answer as I was given an assignment to discover what I like to do besides sleep (which I really do love to do...) and to discover what "fills me up" as opposed to "drains me" And seeing that my boss is also my pastor, I decided I better actually do what he said.
So after thinking about this for many days, I decided that I do like to be creative and crafty (not crafty in the sneaky way, but the Martha Stewart way) and so I left the house this morning saying "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" all the way to JoAnn Fabrics (gasp!)



And once there, I purchased....wait for it....fabric...to sew with. 
And I did! I sewed!



And I made all that you see in these pictures! The darling pillows and the apron. And I did not sew anything onto the clothes that I was wearing (a win) and only saw my friend, seam-ripper, once!




And I promised my sister/apron-model that I wouldn't put this picture on my blog, but she is so ridiculous and this picture makes me laugh so much that... I lied.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! You brought back the traumatic memories of my nightmare home ec/sewing days. It skipped a gen in my fam too. I had to model the embarrassing dress I made with it's crooked seams and the pockets-- one on the side and one in the front as opposed to evenly spaced on the front.... I still long to BE good at crafts and I see cute and easy looking sewing projects like circle skirts and think... could I? but I don't own a sewing machine and putting in a hem or on a new button can send me to therapy for weeks.... I think I better stick to writing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the apron and the pillows! AWESOME job!

    ReplyDelete